1/24/11

Dad Barbie

We have three Barbie dolls. They have been consistently called Mom Barbie, Sister Barbie, and Dad Barbie by both Cara and Hannah. For reasons perhaps better understood by a man, Darrin is bothered by Dad Barbie. I've included a picture with labels so that you get the full effect.

On Sunday Darrin couldn't take it anymore and he asked that Cara and I pick up a Ken doll when we were at Target so that Dad could be a man and not wearing a Golden Globes Awards dress. Cara and I did buy a Ken doll. There are two stories that come from the shopping trip.

1. There were two Ken dolls from which to choose: Groom Ken and Sweet Talkin' Ken. We went with Groom Ken. Not only did the idea of Sweet Talkin' Ken disturb me, but the fact that you can record what Sweet Talkin' Ken says scared me. I can only imagine what Darrin would do with that one.

2. After purchasing the Ken doll, Cara said to me, "Now we have two Dad Barbies. A boy dad and a girl dad." To quote Rooster Cogburn in the new True Grit movie, "Well, that didn't pan out." Sorry, Darrin. We still have a non-traditional Barbie family.

I love those girls.

No comments:

Post a Comment